David Rowlands: Military Artist
Home The Artist Commissions Shop ContactPainting Search
  « Click on Picture to Return »  
Presentation of Colours to the1st Bn 51st Highland Volunteers   Presentation of Colours to the1st Bn 51st Highland Volunteers

4th July 1986: The 51st Highland Volunteers were formed on 1st April 1967 on the reorganisation of the Territorial Army. The 1st Battalion comprised companies which derive from four famous TA units which fought with great distinction in both World Wars:

A (Black Watch) Company is descended from the 4th/5th (Dundee and Angus) Battalion The Black Watch.

K (Black Watch) Company, along with Headquarters Company, is derived from the 6th/7th (Perthshire & Fife) Battalion The Black Watch. Both companies wear the French Croix de Guerre medal ribbon on the left shoulder, awarded to the 6th Battalion in 1918.

G (London Scottish) Company wears the distinctive Hodden grey chosen by Lord Elcho when he raised The London Scottish in 1859.

V (Liverpool Scottish) Company wears the Forbes tartan of the first commanding officer who raised the Liverpool Scottish in 1900. A close affiliation developed between the regiment and The Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders, and as a result the Company wears the blue hackle.

Z (Home Service Force) Company was raised in 1982 as the original trial company of this scheme to enlist ex-servicemen for limited Home Defence duties. They wear the red hackle of the Black Watch.

HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother presented Colours to the 1st Battalion 51st Highland Volunteers on the North Inch, Perth, 4th July 1986. She was accompanied by the Honorary Colonel, David Carnegie-Arbuthnot. The Commanding Officer, with drawn sword, is Lt Col SJ Lindsay. Lt AG Hall (Queen’s Colour) and 2nd Lt RS Burnett (Regimental Colour) are the ensigns. Standing to attention beside the Queen’s Colour is the Second-in-Command, Major JR Macrae MBE TD. Beside the Regimental Colour stands Major JO Barton (A Company).

Medium: Oil on Canvas

Printed image size(s): B2 only (58 x 38 cm)

Owner: Royal Regiment of Scotland (V)

Price(s): £65